Saturday, August 11, 2007

New EUDC council president


As new EUDC council president, Branka Marusic of Zagreb, Croatia was elected. Congratulations!

Here is her introductory mail:

"Dear debating community,

This is the first (of many) e-mails by your newly elected president.

But to start off I would like to introduce myself. My name is Branka Marusic and for the past 3 years I have coordinated debate in Croatia and for the last year and a half I have been the EUDC Council VP for Central and Eastern Europe. In that period of time I had been dealing with various issues which gave me an insight into the specific situations and difficulties faced by countries when developing their debate programs (such as funding, institution recognition etc.) and answered and helped resolve questions, doubts and qualms. That experience served as an incentive to run for the EUDC Council president. Although it is most certainly challenging to live up to the standards set up by my dear predecessor Mr Lars Duursma, I am most willing - and by the trust you have expressed by electing me to this position also recognized as capable - to take up this task head-on.

In the coming year my wish is to improve cooperation between societies, instıtutions, countries and regions in Europe, as well as to represent the interests of all European regions such as working on setting up the criteria for clearer definitions of eligible institutions and speaker statuses (ENL, ESL, EFL).

And as the last point of this brief introduction, but certainly not the least important one, great many thanks to the organizing committtee of the Koc University and a fantastic Euros, and congrats to Tallinn as the venue of our next meeting.

Till soon,
With love from the gorgeous Istanbul,

Branka Marusic"

No comments: